This week's lesson was titled "Show It". The verses were from 1 Thessalonians 1:4-7 and 1 Thessalonians 2:10-12. The basic premise this week was that we, as men and fathers, need to be modeling spiritual life and growth to our families. Just as Paul modeled being devout, upright, and blameless; and just as he was always exhorting, encouraging, and imploring the early church (and us) to walk in a manner worthy of Christ's calling, we need to do the same with our families.
So, the question I have to ask myself is, what have I been modeling for my family? Is it apathy about the things of God? Is it a love for the world? Is it a desire to know and serve the Lord? Is it a growing walk with God and a deepening relationship with Him?
I have to say that when I look closely at my life, I don't like the answer to these questions. I serve in many capacities at church, but I don't have much personal growth in the areas of prayer and Bible study.
My prayer this week is that I would have a hunger for these things and that God would use me to show my family what it means to walk in a manner worthy of the Gospel to which we have been called.
At the end of each lesson, there is a section called "Standing Strong". It is like the homework or the lesson that you will take away from that week's session. This week, the question is, "What will you do this week to model something of spiritual worth that your family can imitate?"
My answer is that I want to be encouraging to my family. I want to encourage them to serve the Lord, have a hunger for His Word, and avoid the temptations of the world. I want to turn off the TV, go to bed early, wake up early, study the Word, and pray for my family each morning. This is how I want to model spiritual growth for them and encourage them to grow as well.
Will you pray that I would make this a priority in my life? I know my family will emulate my example, and I want their imitation of me to be a further example to others of godliness and righteousness, not one of apathy, worry, discontentment, or worldliness.
Stay tuned for next week's session called "Lead Her".
Did I mention I love my wife and kids?
(Posted 3/25/09 from my BlackBerry.)



0 comments:
Post a Comment